Berwick - a great place to live!
town of Berwick was originally part of the Cardinia Creek run.
Subdivision commenced in 1854 and a store, post office, hotel and other
businesses were established. Wheat, barley and potatoes were grown, with
a flour mill in operating for several years. Dairy farming and cheese
making later became the main activities. The Berwick Agricultural
Society, originally started in 1848 as the Mornington Farmers' Society,
is one of the oldest farmers' societies in Victoria.
grew with the construction of a coach road between Melbourne and the
Gippsland region, the Post Office opening on 18 September 1858.
quarry opened in 1859 to supply ballast for the railway line along the
same route, which opened in 1877, and a spur line was constructed to
Berwick railway station to transport the metal. The site of the quarry
is now occupied by Wilson Botanic Park. From 1861 until 1902, Berwick
was also the headquarters of the Shire of Berwick, originally formed as
the Berwick Roads Board.
Poplar trees lining the High Street and
on into Beaconsfield were planted as an Avenue of Honour to commemorate
the fallen in the First World War. Originally name plaques were supposed
to have been mounted at the foot of each tree but this was never
carried out, despite the plaques being produced.
Late in the 20th
century Melbourne sprawled eastward to Berwick and the surrounding
rural land was subdivided becoming a popular destination for first home
buyers with the population exploding with new housing developments from
the 1990s to the 2000s, while retaining much of the character of the
The Berwick Inn
Berwick Inn on the corner of High Street and Lyall Road, was licensed
at Berwick in 1857 as the Border Hotel. The original one-storey section
is now the bar. The two-storey section was added in 1877 as the railway
approached. The western section was built later in the century. The
first licensee was Robert Bain who owned the town's first store and post
office and donated the land on which the shire hall was later built.
Border Hotel was an important local centre in the early days. Aside
from being the first pub on the townsite it was also a stopping place
for coaches en route to Gippsland, as it involved climbing the hill in
Berwick the horses were watered and rested then they stopped at
Beaconsfield over the hill to rest after the climb and descent. Bain was
the first secretary of the Berwick Roads Board and its initial meetings
were held at the hotel from 1862 to 1865. The first local police court
was held at the hotel in 1865 and it also served as a licensing court.
Berwick's census populations have been 60 (1861), 636 (1891), 887 (1954), 25,461(2001) and 36,420 (2006).
town's first school, Berwick Primary, was originally established in an
old shepherd’s hut near the old Berwick hospital in 1857. It was the
first school in the Berwick area and school number 40 in Victoria.
School buildings were later built on a triangular parcel of land between
Peel Street and Harkaway Road. The school operated from this site until
2003 when a new school was built in Fairholme Boulevard. Subsequently,
the Peel Street site was redeveloped as Pioneer Park, a community open
space. The original school buildings were retained during the
redevelopment and now operate as a restaurant.
As well as the
State School, a Boys' Grammar School operated from 1882 to 1922. St
Margaret's Girls' School (originally called Berwick Presbyterian Girls'
School) opened in 1920 with Junior boys being admitted during the 1960s.
It ceased providing boarding placement in 1978, being one of the first
of the St Margaret's Schools in the world to change. Berwick Secondary
College and Kambrya College, public high schools, and the Village campus
of Beaconhills College are located in the suburb.
Berwick also has adult education facilities including Chisholm Institute of TAFE, there is also a Monash University campus.
has its own large retailers, including a Woolworths, a Coles, and a
Mitre 10 Handy. Many small shops and businesses are also situated along
the shopping precinct on old Princes Highway (Main street of Berwick
village). These shops include a selection of restaurants, cafés, and
other services including a library and post office .
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League.
town also has a successful cricket club known as the "Wickers" and
later changed to the Berwick Bears that compete in the DDCA competition.
Golfers play at the Berwick-Montuna Golf Club on Emerald-Beaconsfield Road, Guys Hill.
is in the coverage range of all the commercial radio stations in
Melbourne, yet are also locally serviced by 94.3 Star FM, whose studios
are situated in Warragul.
Mechanics' Institute and Free Library was built in 1862 at the corner of
Peel and Edward Streets. In return for a nominal rent Robert Bain
agreed, in 1878, to lease a block of his land to the library for 500
years, so long as a library remained on the property for that period. In
1880 it was moved to its present site in the main street and extended
the following year.
Berwick was also the home of Edwin "Teddy"
Flack, Australia's first Olympian and Olympic gold medal winner (800
metres (870 yd) and 1,500 metres (1,600 yd)) at the inaugural Athens
Olympic Games). He was laid to rest in Berwick Cemetery, and is
commemorated by a statue in the main street. The Edwin Flack Reserve
includes several sporting grounds, such as the Edwin Flack Oval, Edwin
Flack Athletics Track and Edwin Flack Netball Courts, all named in his
honour. They are located alongside Berwick Secondary College.
Casey, later Baron Casey of Berwick and Governor-General of Australia
was a resident of Berwick. His home of Edrington has now been converted
to an aged care facility. Gagan Scott McDonald, Australian International
football (soccer) player, striker for Celtic FC in Scotland and top
scorer in the Scottish Premier League in the 2007–08 season grew up in
Berwick. AFL games record holder Michael Tuck and former Hawthorn
defender Mark Graham hail from Berwick as does 2009 number one draft
pick Tom Scully and Melbourne Demons team-mate Stefan Martin.
Call us at anytime and we’ll be more than happy to assist you with your real estate needs.
SOURCE: Wikipedia August 2011